Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Through a Grandparent
Search articles:
Schedule an appointment

Obtaining U.S. Citizenship Through a Grandparent

Citizenship through grandfather

If a parent is a US citizen "at birth," but unable to "transmit" citizenship to a child because the parent  did not live in the US before the child’s birth for the required period of time, under current U.S. immigration laws, Section 322 of the ACT, the only possibility of obtaining (transmitting)  U.S. Citizenship through American grandparents is as follows:


  1. the child is under 18 , and in the legal custody of the US citizen parent; 
  2. The child’s parent is a US citizen, by either birth or naturalization.
  3. The child’s US citizen grandparent lived in the US (or US possession), for at least five years, two of which were after the grandparent’s 14th birthday.

The child must  temporarily enters the US pursuant to a lawful admission. The child does not have to be a green card holder. It is only required that the child  entered the US legally, and is still in proper status. ( a  visitor’s visa for this purpose is available.)

This  "grandparent citizenship" procedure is processed  in the United States, not at a US Embassy . It applies even if the grandparent is deceased.

Understand that this must be done before the child's 18th birthday.

N-600Ks should be filed by the U.S. citizen parent unless the parent has died within the preceding five years. In those cases, a U.S. citizen legal guardian or U.S. citizen grandparent may file the N-600KThe procedure requires the completion of a form through the USCIS and a scheduled appointment in the United States that the child must be present at.

Download, print and complete form N-600K . The form must be completed and signed by the minor's parent (not grandparent) or legal guardian in the case of a parent's death.
Compile the supporting documentation.  These are listed in the downloadable instructions on this page.    ◦   

Where to File :
Submit this application to any USCIS Field Office.
Filing Fee : $600. ($550 if filing for an adopted child, see the form instructions for full payment information.)

Special Instructions :
Please consult the "Paying Fees" section of your local office site to learn which forms of payment will be accepted. Acceptable forms of payment may vary by office. Checks should be made payable to U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

Note on Filing Fees: The fee for Form N-600K is $600. Except for a person who is requesting a Certificate of Citizenship for an adopted child, (checking Part 2, Box A or C on the form), all applicants must pay the fee for filing Form N-600K, under section 322 of the INA. For U.S. citizen parents, or a U.S. citizen grandparent or U.S. citizen legal guardian filing in lieu of a deceased U.S. citizen parent, filing on behalf of an adopted minor child under section 322 of the INA (checking Part 2, Box B on the form), the fee for this is $550.

Wait for approval. The USCIS will notify you of your temporary approval, and you will be invited to schedule an interview appoint to which you (the grandparent or parent) and the child must be present.

The appointment must be conducted at a USCIS office within the United States. If everything is in order, the child will take the oath of U.S. citizenship and will be presented a certificate of citizenship.

Additional information:

The Yates Memo:

Introducing Revised Form N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship, and New Form N-600K, Application for Citizenship and Issuance of Certificate under Section 322 ( PDF)
William R. Yates /s/ Janis Sposato HQOPS

Effect of Grandparent’s Death on Naturalization under INA Section 322 (4-17-03) (USCIS) 

Eligibility of Children Born out of Wedlock for Derivative Citizenship (9-26-03) (USCIS)

Forms & Instructions

Articles related to this topic

  • Basic Guide on Becoming a Naturalized U.S. Citizen

  • Videos related


    Moses Apsan and his staff, based in New York City and Newark, NJ provide exceptional legal services throughout the world, in all aspects of immigration to the United States, including non-immigrant (temporary visas), immigrant visa (Green Card) and deportation defense. In addition Mr. Apsan, has been practicing Bankruptcy law and Divorce laws for over 35 years, He was the President of the Federal Bar Association, New Jersey Chapter (1997-2002). He speaks Portuguese and Spanish..

    Call for Appointment

    Call For




    nj immigration lawyers
    Sign up

    Immigration news
    A unique opportunity for pilots from every edge of the globe to acquire U.S. lawful residency (Green Card) has emerged. Currently there is an increasing scarcity of pilots in the United States, which ...
    It came as a surprise to Joseph Monetti (name changed for privacy) when he found out that his wife of 10 years and mother of three of his children, would not be granted legal status in the Uni...
    WASHINGTON — In the midst of a passionate political struggle about DACA, the program that protects from deportation young immigrants who, as children, were brought illegally to the Unite...
    Helena Santos entered the U.S. though the Mexican border in 2005. Years later she married an American citizen. They now have three children together. Helena’s husband took her to an immi...
    The Greek philosopher of Ephesus ( 500 BCE), is best known for his doctrines that “there is nothing permanent except change.” Not so with the Republican Party. As the world transforms, an...
    Donald Trump has been very vocal with his opinions about the H-1B visa program. He has not been clear in terms of what his actual plan for the program is, but earlier this year he was quoted...
    WASHINGTON— The intense political fight that would    affect millions of people who are in the United States illegally arrives to the Supreme Court on Monday. The court will decide th...