FAQS - How to extend aTourist Visas
Search articles:
Schedule an appointment

FAQ’S -  Extention of B2 Visa

immigration lawyers

Q. Why Do You Need to Extend Your Nonimmigrant Status?

Q. What Does the Law Say?

Q.  Who is Eligible?

Q. How Do My Spouse and Child Apply to Extend Their Stay in the United States?

Q. When Should I Apply?

Q. What If My Authorized Stay Has Already Expired? (What If I Am Late Filing for an Extension?)

Q. How Do I Get Another USCIS Form I-94 "Arrival/Departure Document" If the Original Was Submitted With the Application   
   to Extend My Stay?

 Q. Why Do You Need to Extend Your Nonimmigrant Status?
A. A nonimmigrant temporarily enters the United States for a specific purpose such as business, study, or pleasure. When you entered the country as a nonimmigrant, a U.S. immigration inspector should have examined your passport and visa and then given you an USCIS Form I-94 (Arrival/Departure Record). This record should tell you (in the lower right-hand corner) when you must leave the United States. You can prove you did not violate U.S. laws by turning in your USCIS Form I-94 to the proper authorities when you leave the country. If you want to extend your stay in the United States, then you must ask for permission from the U.S. Immigration and Citizenship Service (USCIS) before your authorized stay expires. Proof that you are willing to obey U.S. immigration laws will be important if you want to travel to the United States as an immigrant or nonimmigrant in the future. If you break immigration laws, you may also become subject to removal (deportation).

Q.  What Does the Law Say? 


A.  The Immigration and Nationality Act (INA) governs the admission of all people to the United States. For the part of the law concerning temporary admissions to the United States, please see INA § 214. The applicable regulations are found in the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) at 8 CFR § 214.


Q.  Who is Eligible? 

A.  You may apply to extend your stay if you were lawfully admitted into the United States with a nonimmigrant visa, your nonimmigrant visa status remains valid, and you have not committed any crimes that would make you ineligible. You must apply to extend your status if you wish to stay longer than the date indicated in the lower right-hand corner of your USCIS Form I-94 (Arrival-Departure Record). Please note, you must submit the application for an extension of stay BEFORE your current authorized stay expires. You must also keep your passport valid for your entire stay in the United States.

You may not apply to extend your stay if you were admitted to the United States in the following visa categories:

(VWPP) - Visa Waiver Pilot Program
D - As a crewman
C - As an alien in transit or in transit without a visa
K - As a fiancé of a U.S. citizen or dependent of a fiancé
S - As an informant (and accompanying family) on terrorism or organized 


Q.  How Do My Spouse and Child Apply to Extend Their Stay in the United States? 

A.  If you are filing USCIS Form I-539 for your own extension, you may include your spouse and any unmarried children under the age of 21 in your application if you are all in the same nonimmigrant category. You may also include your spouse or children in your application if they were given derivative nonimmigrant status. This means that your spouse and children were given nonimmigrant visas based on your nonimmigrant status. For instance, if a student is given an F-1 "Academic Student" visa, then the spouse and child are given F-2 "Spouse and Child of an Academic Student" visas. Find out more.

Q.  When Should I Apply? 

A.  We recommend that you apply to extend your stay at least 45 days before your authorized stay expires, but the  USCIS Service Center must receive your application by the day your authorized stay expires.  However, in practice, as long as the USCIS receives the application before the expiration date there should be no problem.


Q.  What If My Authorized Stay Has Already Expired? (What If I Am Late Filing for an Extension?) 

A.  If you are late filing for an extension and your authorized stay has already expired, you must prove that: 

  • The delay was due to extraordinary circumstances beyond your control;
  • The length of the delay was reasonable;
  • You have not done anything else to violate your nonimmigrant status (such as work without USCIS approval);
  • You are still a nonimmigrant (This means you are not trying to become a permanent resident of the United States. There are some exceptions.); and · You are not in formal proceedings to remove (deport) you from the country. .

Q.  How Do I Get Another USCIS Form I-94 "Arrival/Departure Document" If the Original Was Submitted With the Application to   
     Extend   My Stay?

A.  If your application for an extension is approved, you will be issued a replacement I-94 with a new departure date. If your application is denied, your original or copy of the  I-94 will be returned with a request for your immediate departure.


Q.  How Can I Appeal? 

A.  If your application to extend your stay is denied, you will receive a letter that will tell you why the application was denied. You will not be allowed to appeal a negative decision to a higher authority. However, you may submit a motion to reopen or a motion to reconsider with the same office that made the unfavorable decision. By filing these motions, you may ask the office to reexamine or reconsider their decision. A motion to reopen must state the new facts that are to be provided in the reopened proceeding and must be accompanied by affidavits or other documentary evidence. A motion to reconsider must establish that the decision was based on an incorrect application of law or USCISpolicy, and further establish that the decision was incorrect based on the evidence in the file at the time the decision was made. 



Articles related to this topic

  • Temporary Immigration Visas

  • Videos related


    Moses Apsan and his staff, based in New York City and Newark, NJ provide exceptional legal services throughout the world, in all aspects of immigration to the United States, including non-immigrant (temporary visas), immigrant visa (Green Card) and deportation defense. In addition Mr. Apsan, has been practicing Bankruptcy law and Divorce laws for over 35 years, He was the President of the Federal Bar Association, New Jersey Chapter (1997-2002). He speaks Portuguese and Spanish..

    Call for Appointment

    Call For




    nj immigration lawyers
    Sign up

    Immigration news
    A unique opportunity for pilots from every edge of the globe to acquire U.S. lawful residency (Green Card) has emerged. Currently there is an increasing scarcity of pilots in the United States, which ...
    It came as a surprise to Joseph Monetti (name changed for privacy) when he found out that his wife of 10 years and mother of three of his children, would not be granted legal status in the Uni...
    WASHINGTON — In the midst of a passionate political struggle about DACA, the program that protects from deportation young immigrants who, as children, were brought illegally to the Unite...
    Helena Santos entered the U.S. though the Mexican border in 2005. Years later she married an American citizen. They now have three children together. Helena’s husband took her to an immi...
    The Greek philosopher of Ephesus ( 500 BCE), is best known for his doctrines that “there is nothing permanent except change.” Not so with the Republican Party. As the world transforms, an...
    Donald Trump has been very vocal with his opinions about the H-1B visa program. He has not been clear in terms of what his actual plan for the program is, but earlier this year he was quoted...
    WASHINGTON— The intense political fight that would    affect millions of people who are in the United States illegally arrives to the Supreme Court on Monday. The court will decide th...