C Visa - The In Transit VIsa
Search articles:
Schedule an appointment

C Visa - The In Transit VIsa

C visa In Transit

Typically, a citizen of a foreign country who desires to enter a United States must initially obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary visit, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Transit (C) visas are nonimmigrant visas for individuals traveling through the U.S. and continuing their trip to another country.

In the event the traveler has a valid tourist (B) visa, he or she would be able to make use of it in order to travel through the United States. If you are a citizen of countries that participate in the Visa Waiver you will not need a C visa

Travel Purposes Requiring a C Visa

A citizen from another country that stops briefly in the U.S. and continues traveling to anther country is permitted a C visa. The only reason for the stop in the U.S. is to be in transit to another place.

A passenger on a foreign cruise ship or other vessel that is proceeding directly to another country, other than the United States, and the vessel makes port in the United States with no intention of actually landing in the United States.

A crewmember arriving in the U.S., to join a ship or aircraft where he will be a member of the crew. In this case, a crewmember D visa, usually issued as a combination C-1/D visa.

A foreign citizen traveling to or from the United Nations Headquarters District, under provisions of the Headquarters agreement with the United Nations, requires a diplomatic transit (C-2) visa. Travel in this case, is limited to the New York City vicinity.

Travel Purposes Not Permitted for a C Visa

A foreign citizen whose stopover in the United States is not just for a short layover, but really for another purpose other than to transit, for example to study or visit friends. This intent required a B visa.

A coasting officer, are employed temporarily when an officer of a foreign ship is granted home leave while the vessel is in U.S. ports, desiring to enter the United States normally requires a visitor (B) visa.

A crew member on a foreign private yacht that will be cruising in U.S. waters for more than 29 days is normally required to have a visitor (B) visa.

Those on an International Organization (G-4) visa, who are officers or employees of a designated international organization assigned to the United States may pass in transit through the United States


Big Drawback for C visa holders that Overstay

If a C visa holder fails to depart on time, he or she would be considered in illegal status.  If some day the C visa holder decides for file for their permanent residencey (Green card) while in the U.S., they would not be permitted.  Instead they will have to trave abroad to a U.S. Consulate to process their case,  When this happens, the is a 3 or 10 year bar to reentry.

Articles related to this topic

  • Fiances Of U.S. Citizens
  • Important Visa Information for Immigrants
  • Everything you need to know about the Visa Waiver Program
  • The Preference System and Priority Date - Its your number on the waiting line.
  • What you should know about a Fiance Visa (K-1)- Questions and Answers
  • The 3 and 10 Year Bar to Re-Entry - The I-601 Waiver
  • K-3/K-4 Nonimmigrant Visas - spouse of a U.S. citizen and his or her minor children to be admitted to the United States as nonimmigrants while they are waiting for the processing to complete.
  • It has arrived: Same Sex Marriage with Immigration Benefits - Gay & Lesbians Rejoice
  • If I marry my undocumented same-sex partner, can she get a U.S. green card?

  • Videos related


    Moses Apsan and his staff, based in New York City and Newark, NJ provide exceptional legal services throughout the world, in all aspects of immigration to the United States, including non-immigrant (temporary visas), immigrant visa (Green Card) and deportation defense. In addition Mr. Apsan, has been practicing Bankruptcy law and Divorce laws for over 35 years, He was the President of the Federal Bar Association, New Jersey Chapter (1997-2002). He speaks Portuguese and Spanish..

    Click-to-Call us

    Call For




    nj immigration lawyers
    Sign up

    Immigration news
    It came as a surprise to Joseph Monetti (name changed for privacy) when he found out that his wife of 10 years and mother of three of his children, would not be granted legal status in the Uni...
    WASHINGTON — In the midst of a passionate political struggle about DACA, the program that protects from deportation young immigrants who, as children, were brought illegally to the Unite...
    Helena Santos entered the U.S. though the Mexican border in 2005. Years later she married an American citizen. They now have three children together. Helena’s husband took her to an immi...
    The Greek philosopher of Ephesus ( 500 BCE), is best known for his doctrines that “there is nothing permanent except change.” Not so with the Republican Party. As the world transforms, an...
    Donald Trump has been very vocal with his opinions about the H-1B visa program. He has not been clear in terms of what his actual plan for the program is, but earlier this year he was quoted...
    WASHINGTON— The intense political fight that would    affect millions of people who are in the United States illegally arrives to the Supreme Court on Monday. The court will decide th...