S Visa for Informants
Search articles:
Schedule an appointment

Green Card for an Informant (S Nonimmigrant)

S visa for informantsAn S nonimmigrant is an individual who has assisted a law enforcement agency as a witness or informant. A law enforcement agency may submit an application for permanent residence (a green card) on behalf of a witness or informant when the individual has completed the terms and conditions of his or her S classification. Only a federal or state law enforcement agency or a U.S. Attorney’s office may submit a request for permanent residence as an S nonimmigrant on behalf of a witness or informant. The requesting agency must also be the same agency that initially requested S nonimmigrant status on behalf of the individual. Qualifying family members of the principal S nonimmigrant may also be eligible to apply for a green card.

Application Process

S nonimmigrants must go through a two step process to apply for a green card.

This form is to be completed by the federal or state law enforcement agency or U.S. Attorney’s Office that initially filed for the S nonimmigrant status on behalf of the individual.

Evidence that the witness or informant has fulfilled his or her obligations as an S nonimmigrant and provided information about all potential grounds of inadmissibility must be included with the completed and signed Form I-854 application. Failure to disclose all grounds of inadmissibility may result in the alien being removed (deported) from the United States.  For more information on the grounds of inadmissibility for S visa nonimmigrants, please see the Form I-854 instructions.

Applicants should check box “h” in part 2 of the I-485 application and write “S Nonimmigrant” or “S-Qualified Family Member” on the line next to box “h.”

Supporting Evidence for Form I-485

You should submit the following evidence with your Form I-485:

  • Two passport-style photos
  • Form G-325A, Biographic Information, if you are between 14 and 79 years of age
  • Copy of birth certificate
  • Form I-693,  Report of Medical Exam and Vaccination Record
  • Copy of Form I-94, Entry/Exit Record
  • Copies of all pages in your passport. If you do not have a passport, you should submit an explanation of why you do not have a passport.
  • A list showing the dates of all arrivals and departures from the United States while you were in S nonimmigrant status with an explanation for each departure of why you left the United States;
  • Evidence of the relationship to the principal S nonimmigrant witness or informant (e.g., birth certificate, marriage certificate) if you are filing for a green card as a derivative beneficiary of an S nonimmigrant
  • Proof of employment
  • Applicable fees

Articles related to this topic

  • The U Visa - Victims of Crime
  • Questions and Answers: Filing T, U, and VAWA Petitions with USCIS

  • Videos related
    Click-to-Call us

    Call For




    nj immigration lawyers
    Sign up

    Immigration news