Obtaining a Record of my travel in and out of the United States
Search articles:
Schedule an appointment

How can I get a record of my travel in and out of the United States?

CBPU.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) only has complete records of the entry and exit of persons arriving and departing by air or sea. If you are a legal permanent resident and crossed at a land border, it is unlikely that we would have a record of your travels. Also CBP's records only go back to 1982, even for air travel.

Information about someone's movements is protected by the Privacy Act and may only be released to the subject of the records or their designated representative.

Please print out the attached Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Form (USCIS Form G-639 -attached form is current), review the instructions, fill it out and send it to the following address.  Do not use the address listed on the attached instruction sheet.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
FOIA Division
799 9th Street NW, Mint Annex
Washington, DC 20229-1177

If you are a designated representative of the person whose records are being requested, please also submit a form G-28.

Be sure to include in your request the approximate time frame of your entry and exits, your full name and date of birth, passport number and alien number. You must sign the request for information in ink. Unsigned requests will be rejected.

The process for researching our records is time consuming and as a result, there may be a charge for this service. If there is a charge, we will notify you of the amount in advance.

It takes some time to process these requests and depending on the backlog it could take significantly longer. There is no way to expedite the request, in order to avoid additional delays, make sure that your original request has all the requested information.

NOTE: FOIA recently created the FOIA Electronic Reading Room for the public to access.

File Attachments

Articles related to this topic

  • Best Immigration Lawyer, Newark, NJ and New York, NY

  • Videos related


    Moses Apsan and his staff, based in New York City and Newark, NJ provide exceptional legal services throughout the world, in all aspects of immigration to the United States, including non-immigrant (temporary visas), immigrant visa (Green Card) and deportation defense. In addition Mr. Apsan, has been practicing Bankruptcy law and Divorce laws for over 35 years, He was the President of the Federal Bar Association, New Jersey Chapter (1997-2002). He speaks Portuguese and Spanish..

    Call for Appointment

    Call For




    nj immigration lawyers
    Sign up

    Immigration news
    A unique opportunity for pilots from every edge of the globe to acquire U.S. lawful residency (Green Card) has emerged. Currently there is an increasing scarcity of pilots in the United States, which ...
    It came as a surprise to Joseph Monetti (name changed for privacy) when he found out that his wife of 10 years and mother of three of his children, would not be granted legal status in the Uni...
    WASHINGTON — In the midst of a passionate political struggle about DACA, the program that protects from deportation young immigrants who, as children, were brought illegally to the Unite...
    Helena Santos entered the U.S. though the Mexican border in 2005. Years later she married an American citizen. They now have three children together. Helena’s husband took her to an immi...
    The Greek philosopher of Ephesus ( 500 BCE), is best known for his doctrines that “there is nothing permanent except change.” Not so with the Republican Party. As the world transforms, an...
    Donald Trump has been very vocal with his opinions about the H-1B visa program. He has not been clear in terms of what his actual plan for the program is, but earlier this year he was quoted...
    WASHINGTON— The intense political fight that would    affect millions of people who are in the United States illegally arrives to the Supreme Court on Monday. The court will decide th...