How to Replace your certificate of citizenship or naturalization - includes forms and instructions
Search articles:
Schedule an appointment

How to Replace your certificate of citizenship or naturalization.

 Duplicate Certificate of Naturalization

The Certificate of US Citizenship (form N-560 or N-561) is a document issued by the United States government as evidence of U.S. citizenship. Those who are eligible to apply for the United States Certificate of Citizenship include individuals who obtained U.S. citizenship while residing in the United States or individuals who were born outside the United States to U.S. citizens. Specific details of eligibility include:

  • Your parents are U.S. citizens, but you were born abroad.
  •  At least one of your parents became naturalized when you were under 18 years of age and met the special conditions of the law.

The Certificate of U.S. Naturalization (form N-550 or N-570) is a document issued by the United States government as proof of a person having obtained U.S. citizenship through naturalization. The Certificate of U.S. Naturalization has been issued since October 1, 1991 by the USCIS, and prior to September 30, 1991 the Federal Courts and particular State Courts issued it. The United States Certificate of Naturalization is proof of an individual’s U.S. citizenship through naturalization.

Although the process of applying for a certificate of citizenship and certificate of naturalization is similar; the two documents are not the same. Both documents entitle the holder to full benefits of United States citizenship, including applying for a United States Passport. However, the application requirements are different.


Who Should Apply for a Replacement Certificate?

You should apply for a replacement certificate if your current certificate is lost, mutilated, or destroyed. You may also apply for a new certificate if after the issuance of your current certificate, your name has been legally changed either through court order or marriage or divorce.


How Do I Apply to Replace My Certificate?

Form N-565 is used to apply for a replacement certificate of citizenship or naturalization. It is filed in person or by mail with the local USCIS office having jurisdiction over your place of residence. 

If you reside in AL, AR, CT, DE, DC, FL, GA, KY, LA, MS, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NM, NY, NC, SC, OK, PA, PR, RI, TN, TX, VA, VI, VT, WV

Submit your N-565 to the USCIS Texas Service Center at:

Texas Service Center
PO Box 851182
Mesquite, TX 75185-1182

If you reside in AK, AZ, CA, CO, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NV, ND, OH, OR, SD, UT, WA, WI, WY


Submit your N-565 to the USCIS Nebraska Service Center at:

Nebraska Service Center
PO Box 87565
Lincoln, NE 68501-7565

The current fee is $354 payable to Department of Homeland Security, except there is no fee if you check block 2(d) or Part 2 of the form.


What If I am Outside of the United States?

If you are outside the United States you must submit your application to a USCIS office in the United States and be willing to return to the U.S. to pick up the certificate.


How Can I Find Out the Status of My Application?

To check the status of your application, go to the link below and enter your receipt number as requested.

Meanwhile, you can use your passport to prove your citizenship. 

Articles related to this topic

  • Basic Guide on Becoming a Naturalized U.S. Citizen

  • Videos related


    Moses Apsan and his staff, based in New York City and Newark, NJ provide exceptional legal services throughout the world, in all aspects of immigration to the United States, including non-immigrant (temporary visas), immigrant visa (Green Card) and deportation defense. In addition Mr. Apsan, has been practicing Bankruptcy law and Divorce laws for over 35 years, He was the President of the Federal Bar Association, New Jersey Chapter (1997-2002). He speaks Portuguese and Spanish..

    Call for Appointment

    Call For




    nj immigration lawyers
    Sign up

    Immigration news
    A unique opportunity for pilots from every edge of the globe to acquire U.S. lawful residency (Green Card) has emerged. Currently there is an increasing scarcity of pilots in the United States, which ...
    It came as a surprise to Joseph Monetti (name changed for privacy) when he found out that his wife of 10 years and mother of three of his children, would not be granted legal status in the Uni...
    WASHINGTON — In the midst of a passionate political struggle about DACA, the program that protects from deportation young immigrants who, as children, were brought illegally to the Unite...
    Helena Santos entered the U.S. though the Mexican border in 2005. Years later she married an American citizen. They now have three children together. Helena’s husband took her to an immi...
    The Greek philosopher of Ephesus ( 500 BCE), is best known for his doctrines that “there is nothing permanent except change.” Not so with the Republican Party. As the world transforms, an...
    Donald Trump has been very vocal with his opinions about the H-1B visa program. He has not been clear in terms of what his actual plan for the program is, but earlier this year he was quoted...
    WASHINGTON— The intense political fight that would    affect millions of people who are in the United States illegally arrives to the Supreme Court on Monday. The court will decide th...