Required Documentation to Sponsor your Spouse for a Green Card if She is Abroad
Search articles:
Schedule an appointment

Required Documentation to Sponsor your Spouse for a Green Card if S/he is Abroad

Documents required to sponsor spouse

To complete the process, the petitioner must submit:

  • Form I-130 (signed with proper fee), with all required documentation, including: 
    • Two completed and signed G-325A forms (one for you and one for your spouse)
  • A copy of your civil marriage certificate
    • A copy of all divorce decrees, death certificates, or annulment decrees that demonstrate that all previous marriages entered into by you and/or your spouse were terminated.
    • Passport style photos of you and your spouse (see Form I-130 instructions for photo requirements)
    • Evidence of all legal name changes for you and/or your spouse (may include marriage certificates, divorce decrees, court judgment of name change, adoption decrees, etc.)
  • If you are a U.S. citizen, you must demonstrate your status with:

o      A copy of your valid U.S. passport OR

o      A copy of your U.S. birth certificate OR

o      A copy of Consular Report of Birth Abroad OR

o      A copy of your naturalization certificate OR

o      A copy of your certificate of citizenship

  • If you are a permanent resident, you must demonstrate your status with:

o      A copy (front and back) of Form I-551 (green card) OR

o   A copy of your foreign passport bearing a stamp showing temporary evidence of permanent residence

Articles related to this topic

  • Fiances Of U.S. Citizens
  • Adjustment of Status Lawyers
  • Important Visa Information for Immigrants
  • Everything you need to know about the Visa Waiver Program
  • The Preference System and Priority Date - Its your number on the waiting line.
  • What you should know about a Fiance Visa (K-1)- Questions and Answers
  • The 3 and 10 Year Bar to Re-Entry - The I-601 Waiver
  • K-3/K-4 Nonimmigrant Visas - spouse of a U.S. citizen and his or her minor children to be admitted to the United States as nonimmigrants while they are waiting for the processing to complete.
  • It has arrived: Same Sex Marriage with Immigration Benefits - Gay & Lesbians Rejoice
  • If I marry my undocumented same-sex partner, can she get a U.S. green card?

  • Videos related


    Moses Apsan and his staff, based in New York City and Newark, NJ provide exceptional legal services throughout the world, in all aspects of immigration to the United States, including non-immigrant (temporary visas), immigrant visa (Green Card) and deportation defense. In addition Mr. Apsan, has been practicing Bankruptcy law and Divorce laws for over 35 years, He was the President of the Federal Bar Association, New Jersey Chapter (1997-2002). He speaks Portuguese and Spanish..

    Click-to-Call us

    Call For




    nj immigration lawyers
    Sign up

    Immigration news
    It came as a surprise to Joseph Monetti (name changed for privacy) when he found out that his wife of 10 years and mother of three of his children, would not be granted legal status in the Uni...
    WASHINGTON — In the midst of a passionate political struggle about DACA, the program that protects from deportation young immigrants who, as children, were brought illegally to the Unite...
    Helena Santos entered the U.S. though the Mexican border in 2005. Years later she married an American citizen. They now have three children together. Helena’s husband took her to an immi...
    The Greek philosopher of Ephesus ( 500 BCE), is best known for his doctrines that “there is nothing permanent except change.” Not so with the Republican Party. As the world transforms, an...
    Donald Trump has been very vocal with his opinions about the H-1B visa program. He has not been clear in terms of what his actual plan for the program is, but earlier this year he was quoted...
    WASHINGTON— The intense political fight that would    affect millions of people who are in the United States illegally arrives to the Supreme Court on Monday. The court will decide th...